Sunday, January 30, 2011

Reminder of Treasures

I had my first experience with a house fire this weekend.  I have been a little traumatized by the experience.  I walked into my kitchen after a friend came running out of the house and said my kitchen was on fire, to see my cabinets being  gobbled up by flames.  The flames licked at my hard work and threatened the very life source of my family.  The kitchen to me is a symbol of everything family; we eat there, talk there, converge there, and even my spanking spoons reside there.   I was stunned and almost didn't know what step to take next.  I had been holding my cell phone in my hand the whole time, but to actually use it to call 911 seemed much to logical.  However, in a moment of sanity, I did that very thing and then grabbed my purse and my hairbag (which contains this computer I'm typing on). 
Fortunately we were all outside when the blaze started, so the kids and puppies were completely safe.  I didn't even realize until later that not too much of material items matter to me and for that I am thankful.  Now, don't get me wrong.  I am thankful that a few cabinets that I intended on ripping out one day anyway are the only things that really got destroyed, but I realized that I could let go of the other stuff.  I might mourn it, like I do Nautas' baby teeth and a few other items that were stolen from me, but I didn't think of grabbing anything else!  I wanted to grab some pictures, but I wasn't going to risk my life and go downstairs to get them.  I didn't grab any clothes, shoes, books...nothing.
The scripture of Matt 6:19-20 came to mind.  I love how the Holy Spirit will bring scripture to me in all circumstances and this was really comforting for me.  "Do not store u for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal. But store up your treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal."  I have always felt like this house was a gift from God, but in this instant I can see how easily things on this earth can be taken away.  My prayer is that I will always remember to focus on the eternal things and not get wrapped up in things or distracted by things that can be destroyed in no time.

I guess I'll have to post pics of my renewed kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment